Foodie

Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Kuih Kodok

Kodok in malay means toad and i guessed the finished product is so ugly that the name is self explanatory. The only failure in making this recipe is that you might end up with burnt kuih. If this batter is baked in muffin tins then it will be called 'Banana muffins'. There is only one type of bananas that are readily available in the supermarkets here and this kuih is made only when i have overriped bananas in hand.


Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Ingredients:

3 large overriped banana- mashed
1 Tbsp caster sugar
pinch of salt
1/2 tsp bicarbonate soda
1/2 cup dessicated coconut
1/4 cup chopped nuts(optional)
100g plain flour
oil for deep frying

Method:


Mix all the ingredients except the oil.

Using an ice cream scoop, slowly drop in batter into moderately hot oil. (Do not over crowd. The kuih kodok would float up when it is cooked)

Remove from oil on to cake rack to cool.


Serves

16 comments:

FooDcrazEE said...

Lily,

Kodok actually means toad in malay. Can i have some, please ?

Unknown said...

foodcrazee

thanks for the note. i have editted my text.

FooDcrazEE said...

lily, u might be right too but literary kodok is toad. in ur case it might meant what u said.

Here we called them err...nt sure whether its cengkodok or cekodok instead of kuih kodok.

Unknown said...

foodcrazee

thanks again, i think you are more proficient in the malay language than i am. You are absolutely right cos now i remember my malay friends calling it 'frog cake'

FooDcrazEE said...

lolz

Anonymous said...

Hi Lily,
You have a really excellent food blog here. I have printed out heaps of your recipes and will try them out soon.

You may also be amused to know that I never could cook smooth steam eggs before, until I tried your recipe. It was the first time my steam egg turned out super-duper smooth.

Please keep up your good work. I am a huge fan already :)

Tinkerbell.

Little Corner of Mine said...

Oops! You got tagged by me for meme- you are what you eat. See link http://belachan2.blogspot.com/2005/12/meme-you-are-what-you-eat.html

hoangtam/tt said...

oops, I just tagged you too :D.

jadepearl said...

Ah, reminds me of the good old days...love this kodok.

Happy New Year to you and your family! :) May 2006 be another wonderful and prosperous year too!

Anonymous said...

Hi,
Can U remenber me? I am from Singapore and I had try some of your recipes and it good and I like the recipes u posted because it help me a lots with the picture on your recipes. Thank you so much and hope to see more recipes from you.

Singaporegirl

Unknown said...

singaporegirl

you are most welcome. i hope you had successes following my recipes. would appreciate if you could give me some feedbacks on your successes

happy cooking and baking

Alyssa Ng said...

hi, i tried this recipe of yours and the results is amazing. i missed home.. currently studying in Newcastle, UK.

Anonymous said...

We were having an international food fair on campus today. My housemates and I decided to sell Pisang Goreng and bought 13kg of bananas. A few hours prior to the food fair, we realized that there were 2 other stalls selling pisang goreng..Hahaa.. Thank God for your Kueh Kodok receip... ..It was the hot item for the night.. :) thanks.. for the recipe.. It turned out really well..:)

Joe-Lene said...

Hi, can i substitute the plain flour with wholemeal flour instead?

Unknown said...

joe-lene

absolutely, you can sub with wholemeal flour

M. said...

Hi Lily! I tried this recipe and it was soooooo good! tasted just like the ones back home, thank you so so much! been an ardent reader and follower of your blog and have been my no.1 go-to sites for local delicacies. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...