Foodie

Friday, October 27, 2006

Mein Fun koh

This dish however you call it, is the real comfort food that is closest to home.It has been called, Mein Fun Koh, Mee Hoon Kuih, Pan Mein, Country style flat egg noodles, etc. This dish used to be poor man's diet in the good old days when you can buy a handful of ikan bilis for 10 cents and harvest the sayur manis from the backyard. The most important part of this dish is that the dough has to be torn and drop into the soup that is why it is called 'koh' instead of 'mein' for noodles.

There is no need to starve when you crave for this, get the instant one, INA Pan Mee from http://mytasteofasia.com/., they are on sale now.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Ingredients:

Dough:
300 gm all purpose flour
1/2 tsp salt
2 eggs
160 ml(2/3 cup) water

Soup:
100g dried anchovies, washed and drained
400g chicken/pork meat, sliced and mix with 3 tsp soya sauce , 1 tsp tapioca flour and a dash of pepper
100g dried mushroom, soak to soften, shred
300g choy sum
4 litres water
1 cube/1 tsp granules of ikan bilis stock

Garnishing:
Shallot and garlic crisps
Fried Ikan Bilis
Chilli Padi with salt, sugar and vinegar

Method:

Put all the ingredients for the dough in the food processor, pulse until dough is formed. Remove and leave in a ziploc bag to rest for at least 1 hour..

Put anchovies in a dish and mix with 3 tsp oil. Microwave on high, 2 minutes , stir well , repeat 2 minutes more and if still not golden and crispy, microwave 1 more minute
.
Bring water to a boil, add in half of the crispy ikan bilis , ikan bilis stock and shredded mushrooms. Cook for 8-10 minutes.

Take a small piece of dough and rub with a little cooking oil, tear the dough into small and very thin pieces and drop them into the soup. As soon as the dough pieces float to the top, fish them up and leave aside. Repeat with the rest of the dough.

Add the chicken/pork and bring back to the boil.

When the meat is cooked, add choy sum, then put back the cooked dough pieces.

Season with salt to taste.

To serve:
Scoop into individual bowls .Add a dash of sesame oil and top with garnishings.

Serves

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

hi.do u have the recipe for witches fingers!

Unknown said...

anonymous

just hit witches fingers in yahoo/google search and you will find all the recipes there are. here is one http://www.keepkidshealthy.com/halloween/witches_fingers.html

this is healthier as the kids will be having so many candies already

Unknown said...

anonymous

just hit witches fingers in yahoo/google search and you will find all the recipes there are. here is one http://www.keepkidshealthy.com/halloween/witches_fingers.html

this is healthier as the kids will be having so many candies already

Anonymous said...

Lily,

I simply admire your cooking talent! Will give this dish a go very soon when I have some time! :)

Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting this Lily, this is one of my fav dishes. I have always relied on my mum to cook this for me but now with your guidance and recipe, I will have more confidence cooking this myself instead! _K

valkuan said...

Hi Lily,

You are the greatest!! My grandma often made this dish for breakfast when I was a little kid. I was asking my mom the other day about this recipe for the dough. But I didn't quite get it. Now, I can cook it for dinner! Thanks.

valkuan said...

Hi Lily,

I am a student from Singapore who lives in SF. Thanks for posting this recipe. It brings back a lot of memories! My grandma used to cook this for breakfast when I was a kid. I used to hate it. As time goes by, I learned to appreciate and find comfort in it. Xie Xie!

Anonymous said...

yum yum! looks so tasty!

an9ie said...

Hi Lily,

Found your Yau Char Kway recipe via lobstersquad and it looks good but a lot of work! I'm glad we can buy it ready-made here in Perth :) Have you had tried making Ham Chim Peng at all? I'm looking for a good recipe - the ones we've tried are too flat and hard. Argh!

Thank you,
Angie

Unknown said...

angie

yes i made hum cheem peng but could not catch up with the posting.

Gwendolynne said...

I used dried udon noodles for this dish. Also added some vietnamese fish sauce as well as a cube of chicken stock, it heightened the aroma greatly. Also because I couldn't find choy sum, I used the spinach leaves that people eat in salads. Worked the same way almost. I hate ikan bilis anyway so I didn't put any in or on top ha ha ~

Thanks for the inspiration!

Anonymous said...

been a malaysian in australia your dishes brings me back home to where it all started. By the way, have you come accross the large bread bun with curry inside? I had it once in seremban when i was on holidays and now i am keen to know how to make it. i know the bread the sweet like all breads in malaysia. the curry chicken is very midly hot and tasty. i will keep peeping into your blog to be inspired and will actually try them out soon. love your blog.

Anonymous said...

Hi liying,
i do not have a food processor, can i use my hands to knead e dough?
thanks for ur help =)

Unknown said...

reon

yes, just knead ingredients into a dough, and knead until smooth and elastic

Ee Ling said...

hi there
what is the number of servings for this recipe? thanks! :)

Unknown said...

Ee ling

it depends on your guests appetite, for my family of 3 adults and 2 kids, this recipe is more than enough. You would have to make this for once to gauge.

米儿 said...

hi, thanks for the recipe! But just wondering if i dun hv food processor, and i mix the dough manually, will it still taste as good?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...