Foodie

Thursday, April 08, 2010

Cucur Udang/Malaysian Prawn Fritters


I have tried my recipes but did not like them cos either the batter was too thick making the fritters too doughy in the middle.  I like the fritters to be crispy all the way through with the vegetables not too soft.  The shrimp/prawn on top has to be fried crispy so that the shells can be eaten without getting choked on it.  For that reason, the shrimp/prawn has to be small.  The vegetables used do not have to be garlic chives and bean sprouts, i have used shredded potatoes, taro, pumpkin and i can go on and on, so play with your food and you can serve something that is so good that you yourself cannot imagine that it is possible.





Ingredients:

1 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup tapioca starch
1/2 cup rice flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
 2 tbsp oil
1 tsp tumeric powder
1/2 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp chicken granules
1 cup water
1 1/2 cup bean sprouts
1/2 cup garlic chives - cut into 1 inch lengths
16 - 20 small shrimps
Oil for deep-frying

Method:

Combine the all-purpose flour, tapioca starch, rice flour, baking powder, salt, pepper, chicken granules and tumeric. and mix well.

Add water and oil to make a thin batter. Then stir in the chives and bean sprouts.

Heat the oil  in medium heat. Place a small ladle in the oil to and heat until ladle is hot.. Then lift the ladle out from the oil and allowing excess oil to drip off.

Using the chopsticks, pick up a bunch of vegetables together with as much batter as possible on to the hot ladle.  Put a piece of shrimp on to the center of the vegetables.and press it in. Lower the ladle into the oil,  when the base of the fritter has formed a crust, it will dislodged by itself if the ladle is hot enoughto begin with, if it does not fall off, gently push it out of the ladle with the tip of a spatula or small knife and allow it to continue frying in the oil until golden brown.

Repeat until all the vegetables in the batter are done.

Drain fritters on paper towel. Cool  slightly before serving with chilli sauce(recipe as follows)

Chilli Sauce

2 tbsp Siracha chilli sauce
3 tbsp tomato ketchup
1 tbsp sugar

Mix all the above ingredients.

Serves

24 comments:

Ube said...

We have a Filipino version of this. It used grated green papaya and annato seeds to color the batter. When I first settled here in the US there was hardly any Oriental stores selling produce. Now a days Oriental stores mushroomed in every corner so papaya is readily available but I am so used to bean sprouts that I favor them now more than grated green papaya. I used cut banana leaves to form my fritters and drop them in the vat of hot oil. When my fritters are cooked they slipped off from the banana leaves.

Joy said...

I make something similar but mainly with egg and bean sprouts. Thanks for sharing the recipes.

MaryMoh said...

Lily, we look like having the same craving! :D I have just made fritters this morning for breakfast for a change. I added sliced runner beans and crab sticks. My hubby liked them very much. I love them with chili sauce...mmm. I miss these prawn fritters back home. Yours look delicious though.

Cookie said...

I remember having this when I was little. A push-cart hawker sold this near our house!!!

Chris said...

Just made this...took your advice and subbed enoki mushrooms for the beansprouts, and yellow chives for the green ones. Had to add extra 75ml of water to make the batter thin. I have to make sure only a small amt of batter into the oil at a time. Lovely taste!! Thanks!!

Pete said...

Adding shredded potatoes is an interesting choice....nice!

seremban fan said...

this recipe looks delicious

YumMum said...

Dear Lily,

Do you have the recipe for 马蹄酥 or 碰饼 that is commonly found in Malaysia/Singapore? Thanks.

regards,
Eileen

Domestic Violence Lawyers said...

When I was young my mum always made me port mice with eggplant fry pie.
It looks similar with this one.

Anonymous said...

Hi, Aunty Lily,... I've tried this recipe yesterday.. it turns out really nice!! XD
I would like to ask for the Law Pak Koh (Radish cake) can i substitute the radish with red carrots?? .. Cause i'Ve got a whole packet of red carrots n dun know wut to with it.. i prefer using chinese recipes.. ^^

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

I saw my mom use a special type of prawn to make this, she told me is "pei hair", white prawn, the shell can be eaten.

Unknown said...

anonymous

i don't think red carrot is good for radish cake. use them in this cucur udang, acar needs alot of carrot.

i hope readers of this tread can give you more suggestions.

Wills and Estates Lawyers Melbourne said...

I had something simliar with this dish the other day.But was a janpanese restarunt which the prawn was in it. My bf ask me why make it crispy and then threw them in the soup..:p

Alison said...

Hi Lily!

I just noticed that you added me to your blog roll. That really means a lot to me. Thank you SO much :) I've added your website to mine too :) You're the first one, haha.

All the best to you :)
Alison

Kate said...

Hello!
 My name is Kate.
I would like to ask you if it is possible to place a link about Indian sweets on your site page with Page Rank, on your home page?
If you are interested in this tell me and we will descuss conditions.
Connect with me via e-mail: sudarkinakate@gmail.com
Thanks a lot.
Sincerely.

chris said...

Look very yummy

dining room tables said...

I know something similar as this in some Asian restaurant and it really tastes good!

ilcucchiaiodoro said...

Vraiment excellents ! ! !

Anonymous said...

Hi! Thanks for sharing. Can i use the same recipe for making corn fritters? Thanks!

Tebonin said...

Whats the stuffs down the prawns? Could you please upload the photos during the cooking as well. Glad to see those as well.

nasifriet said...

I'm sure these are not only nice to look at but DELICIOUS. I love cucur udang. Many thanks for sharing, Lily.

Unknown said...

tebonin

the bottom is batter with vegetables.

the next time i make these, i make sure that it is a buddy project so that pictures can be taken while i am making them.

Unknown said...

anonymous

sure you can use corn, use any vegetable you desire

Unknown said...

simauma

thanks for wanting to link me. Please do go ahead and do that.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...