Foodie

Tuesday, June 01, 2010

Garlic Chive Omelette

Garlic Chives aka Chinese Chives is the first green that will be on the ground after the long winter and it is a very welcome sight. It is a very forgiving plant which does not need much attention and a tiny patch of it, is suffice for many meals through the summer. This omelette is one of recipes using this garlic chives.

Here are some nutritional information:  they are rich in vitamin C. Chives leaves are a good source of fiber, potassium, and vitamin A. Garlic chives is high in carotene, thiamine, and riboflavin. Garlic chives is also rich in minerals, especially calcium and iron.was used in traditional folk medicine to treat intestinal parasites, enhance the immune system, stimulate digestion, and treat anemia.  It has long been used to treat fatigue, help control excessive bleeding, and as an antidote for ingested poisons. The leaves and bulbs are applied to insect bites, cuts, and wounds, while the seeds are used to treat kidney, liver, and digestive system problems. 

This vegetable saved my life  - when i was 2 or 3 years old, i was having a metal whisle in my mouth while i was having my bath, the whisle was tiny, like the pepermint candy which has a hole in the middle.  As soon as my mom lay me down on to the towel, oops - i swallowed the whisle.  I had to go to the doctor right away and was told that the only thing to do was to wait - yes, wait for it to come out the other end.  The most important thing was not to allow the whisle to get rusty and to do so, i have to drown in alot of cod liver oil and eat as much of this garlic chives as possible.  The whisle did come out, vegetable and all. 


Ingredients:

2 cups of garlic chives - chopped
4 large eggs
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp white pepper
oil for frying

Method:

Beat eggs with salt and pepper.

Add in the chopped chives.

Heat 2 tbsp oil in a frying pan and pour in all the egg mixture to make a large omelette or fry it by spoonful into tiny patties.

Serve warm with white rice.. 

7 comments:

Micah | Coffee Machines said...

It looks like so Delicious :)

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

This look simple and nice, I like to add a lot of chives in the Penang Char Keow Teow.

tinyskillet said...

These look really good, a nice way to use garlic chives! So do you think of that whistle when you eat these? :P

Unknown said...

lyndsey

yes, i do everytime

Rebecca said...

I was told that if children sweat a lot while sleeping or having cold hands and feet ( for adult too ) Chives is good to heal these problem. Fried them with rice or just fry into omelet as you did. I never heard of this recipe. Will try it as it looks delicious ! I planted some in my garden but never increase in volume, always that 20 plants, wonder why ? Anyone can help ? After cutting them and it will grow tall in days ! It never ends! But for 1 year still only 20 plants !

Unknown said...

rebecca

garlic chives are bulbs, it has to be dug up and replant by splitting the bulbs. my friend, akau, who came to visit, replanted some and now i have my vegetable patch full of chives.

Here in Colorado, it is so dry that my grand children nosebleed alot and Akau told me to cook the roots for them to them. I have yet to try it.

Vishal-Coffee Machine said...

This egg recipe is really looking yummy and healthy.I think I will need to try this recipe soon:)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...